Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Covers: Marilyn Manson, Sonique, and Nina Simone do "I Put a Spell On You"

Three people, one song, three completely different tracks.

Let's start with Marilyn Manson. I love this cover so fucking much. Not a popular opinion around fans of the original, but as a rock fan I think it's amazing. MM tears it the fuck it up and it sounds incredible. Some guy made a fake music video using clips from some 80-year-old movie and it turned out decent.



In 2000 Sonique made an almost completely ignored electronica-style cover of "Spell", and it turned out to be way better than I expected it to be. I expected to be totally hollow, as most of these synthed-up covers are (see: "Tainted Love" by Pussycat Dolls, etc), but the electro-production is actually used really well here and creates the same intoxicating effect the original did, but in a different way. It also spawned a brilliantly-shot music video.



The only big flaw is that she cops out with the fade-out ending instead of going for the big finish like Marilyn or Nina. Speaking of...

While I was searching, I found a hotter-than-hell slideshow set to the definitive cover of "I Put A Spell On You", Nina Simone's version. In this song, there's a quality in her voice that I still haven't heard anyone else have.

No comments: