Monday, November 26, 2007

Covers: Shawn Lee does Kylie

I'm in love with Shawn Lee and his Ping Pong Orchestra, and Lee's work is actually one of my strongest influences as a producer. I still have his "Hits the Hits" album in heavy rotation on my iPod a month and a half after its release, which is impressive considering how A.D.D. I am about music sometimes. We talked about his Bollywood take on "Toxic" a while back, and now we're back for more. The closing track is one of the albums strongest songs; a jazzy instrumental cover of Kylie's "Can't Get You Out Of My Head". He didn't just switch out some instruments; he clearly put a lot of thought in tweaking the song just right so it would be completely different from the original, but still instantly recognizable. Impressive work. Expect more posts related to Shawn's album in the future.

No comments: