Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Covers: Chromatics does "Running Up That Hill"

I never cared about Chromatics that much (mostly because I thought "Nite" was one of the worst songs I had ever heard), but this is some pretty good work from them. They did an electro-style cover of "Running Up That Hill" by Kate Bush and recently made famous to a new indie generation by Placebo. It's a nice half-way point between the two; it's not ridiculously over-the-top (not just regular over-the-top, but 80's over-the-top) like the original, and not dragged down by ugly vocals that take several listens to get used to. Don't get me wrong, I think Placebo's cover is brilliant, but those vocals are really hard to take the first few times around. But this is the near-perfect balance of subtlety and accessability.

No comments: